Starting any martial art can be a difficult thing, so at Valley Ranch Taekwondo we believe that just because you move or are no longer comfortable at your current school, you shouldn’t have to start over. Students transferring from any other Taekwondo America school will automatically keep their current rank, but what if you are coming from a different style of taekwondo or even a different martial art?
There are two styles of taekwondo – the International style (ITF) and World style (WTF). Our school practices the international style of taekwondo, which is more traditional than the world style.
If you’ve trained before in any martial art then you’ve already laid some of the basic foundations, but ranks do vary from one organization to another within the same style, and the differences can be even larger when switching from one martial art to another. So, how do you find out what your rank would equate to in our school? The best thing to do is contact us to schedule a free trial class and evaluation with our chief instructor. In order to help us suggest the best fit for your trial class, please provide us with as much of the following information as possible:
- What style of martial art did/do you practice? If taekwondo, do you know whether you practiced the ITF or WTF style?
- How long did you train (years and/or months)?
- How frequently did you attend classes while training (once per week, twice per week, etc)?
- How long has it been since you trained?
- What rank did you earn at your previous school?
- Did your training include sparring?
- Did your training include board breaking? If so, please provide us with as many details as possible (board size if wooden boards, board type/color if plastic rebreakable boards, techniques performed for rank advancement, etc).
- Did you train as part of a special program (i.e. after school care, Little Dragons program for young students, etc)?
- If you are still currently training, what reason(s) made you interested in transferring schools?